HOPS AND DOGS
February 06, 2017 00:00
This is a Public Service Announcement: HOPS ARE TOXIC TO DOGS!!!
We are now a proud owner of an Australian Cattle Dog! His name is Otter…(because he looked like one when he was born) and we’ve added Pop to his name because who in my generation didn’t like Otter Pops?
Otter-Pop is an amazing dog. He’s really good with the kids, especially our one year old. He trains quickly, and hasn’t peed or pooped in the house to date (I just jinxed it!)
As you know we grow and harvest hops. Hops and dogs don’t mix. When a dog ingests hops, the hops can cause Malignant Hyperthermia. That’s two big words for 'your dog can over heat RAPIDLY and die.' If you think your dog has eaten hops, get them to a vet pronto. Your dog may be vomiting, or having seizures.
On brew day, make sure you keep your unused hops away from dogs, and be conscious of spent hops that you may put in your compost. Dogs like those grains, so if you are adding spent hops to the mix, keep your dog away!
If you grow hops, cage them off. We’ve found that our dog LOVES digging them up.
Interested to hear the precautions you take!